Air Fried Zucchini
*Note – An egg substitute (flaxseed & water) is used to lower fat and cholesterol. Flax seeds are rich in Omega 3 and protein. A regular egg and milk can also be used.
TIP – My preference is to season the ingredient and not the dredging flour or Panko. The seasoned ingredient will absorb more flavor and there is more control over the spices used.
½ cup flour
1 T ground flaxseed
3 T water
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 T almond milk
Salt & pepper
- Cut zucchini into 12 equal spears. Sprinkle with smoked paprika, garlic, salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Mix 1 T flaxseed & 3 T water. Whisk well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Set up coating station:
- Bowl with flour
- Bowl with thickened flaxseed & 1 T almond milk, whisked well periodically.
- Bowl with Panko breadcrumbs
- Dredge each piece of zucchini into flour, then coat with flaxseed mixture, then coat with panko breadcrumbs thoroughly, patting breadcrumbs on for even coat.
- Place in pre-heated air fryer. Don’t crowd them. If you don’t have an air fryer, bake them until golden brown and just tender.
- Cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking.
Serve with your favorite Ranch dressing. Enjoy wonderfully crunchy zucchini that is not mushy, is super healthy and delicious!
Yield: 2 servings.
Fat content from flaxseeds: 4g Polyunsaturated fat, .5g saturated fat