Heart healthy baked acorn squash recipe, that’s easy to make!
Pure Maple Syrup
- Prepare the squash. Wash the squash (you don’t know where it’s been). Make 2 slits in a groove and microwave for 3 minutes. This softens the squash just enough to cut it easier. Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff with a spoon.
2. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place squash flat side down and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.
3. Use tongs to turn the squash over and test with a fork for tenderness. The fork should go in easily.
4. When fork tender, turn squash over, drizzle maple syrup over the flat sides (most will pool in the center), and sprinkle with pepper to taste.
5. Broil until browned and bubbly.
Cut into amount of wedges needed for your family and serve as a side dish, or leave intact and serve as a main course.
- Kids will enjoy it more if they can scoop it out of the skin on their own. They eat with their eyes first, and then they will taste the nutty, sweet flavor of the squash.
- Parchment paper with no spray can be used instead of tin foil/spray for a totally non-fat version. However, the fat added with the spray is negligible, and the browning during baking is better.
- Vegan Friendly
We can help you get moving, safely. https://intermountainpt.com/request-appointment/